Tuesday 29 October 2013

Tuesday 29 Oct 2013

L: Yes, as usual, I was up early to see the birds, and the dolphins and whales.......Wow, what a feast, but these dolphins are so fast that it is really difficult to get a pic of anything, but their back or snout, ha ha.

I was very lucky to have a little Pied Kingfisher diving into the sea right in front of me for most of the time and saw him catch a fish.

I went back to the room, lovely accommodation that we have, to rouse Steve. We showered and tidied up and headed off to the local Checkers to replenish our stocks for the next week. Steve dropped me and headed off to fill the bakkie and then came back to the shop to join me. By then, he had started to feel really dizzy for some reason so went back to sit in the bakkie while I finished up. We hope that he has not started an ear infection......

S: We went back to the beach so that I could get some fresh air and try to feel better, but decided it was better to go back and lie down for a bit, taking a motion-sickness tablet to help with the dizziness.

L: I unpacked and sorted out the provisions into the bakkie and the ammo boxes that we store everything in and made lunch of fresh salads and fruit as Steve had already eaten the cheese rolls and given the rest to a beggar.

S: The tablet seemed to work so we set off for the beach, which I must emphasize is only a hop, skip and jump away from Aloe Again!! Though I didn't hop, skip or jump, I strolled slowly, to keep the dizziness in check. We took a nice, leisurely walk up and down the beach and collected shells and watched a lone (spelt l-o-n-e) surfer at Super Tubes.

L: I was continually trying to get a good shot of the dolphins and whales and really enjoyed my time down at the beach, but unfortunately Steve did not manage to stay and went for another lie down. Yesterday Steve was bitten by a tick so I am a bit concerned about tick-bite fever so I will keep a close eye on him over the next few days.

When I came back, I went into the back garden to see if I could catch sight of the African Paradise Flycatcher and when I did, I called Steve to come and look at the huge female one that was perched almost out of sight in a tree. She is so much larger than the male, not sure if he is a juvenile. Steve helped me to catch a fairly decent photograph of the female.

We decided to have an indoor braai, upstairs in the communal lounge area – though there is no-one else at all in our palace. We played a few games of pool, read, and typed this update and went through the loads of photographs, looking for a decent dolphin one.......

S: After washing up and packing away, we headed off, downstairs, to bed. We are leaving again in the morning – to the Outeniqua area to the Prince Alfred Pass. Catch you later :-)








3 comments:

  1. Hi you two
    Thanks Steve, for emphasising the spelling of l-o-n-e surfer!! Nice action photo of him.
    Lovely photos of the Pied Kingfisher and the African Paradise Flycatcher.
    I saw a whole family of Flycatchers in Louis Trichardt about 20 years ago!
    Enjoy the rest of your trip and I hope Steve feels better soon.
    Love Jenni and Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - am I the only one reading this thing? Or do I just talk too much??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, we will keep writing even if you are the only one reading....!
    We do have quite a few pals + lots of family reading too.
    Thanks for all the feedback. Lots of love XX

    ReplyDelete